Goal of this Forum?

Forum for general information, announcements and forum usage discussion.
CES
ShipConstructor Experience Level: Novice

Goal of this Forum?

Post by CES » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:04 pm

In the posting guidelines thread Justin said this:
The ShipConstructor User Community forum is not a means of software support from ShipConstructor Software Inc. If you have comments for ShipConstructor or require technical assistance your queries should be forwarded to support@shipconstructor.com.
I think that SC is really missing an opportunity with this approach, If SSI Tech Support was willing to answer questions via this forum (rather than via email), over time you would build a searchable database of questions and answers that would be a useful resource for both new and experienced users alike. I assume that it would save time for SSI Suppoort as each question answered in the public forum might help several other people, saving them from having to field more emails on the same topic. Also, it might help to build traffic on the site, which seems to be off to a pretty slow start.

I have called and emailed SSI Support many times and have always received lots of good help and advice, I just think this could be a resource that would benefit the users and help desk alike. A good example is the Rhino Support Group at:

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewswe ... roup=rhino

Thanks!
CES

spm
ShipConstructor Experience Level: Advanced

Re: Goal of this Forum?

Post by spm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:12 am

I agree with what you have said. I been using shipconstuctor 2004 for the last 4 years. I have done so far 9 vessels since then with some havings excess of 20,000 parts. I been using 2008 for three weeks now and have some basic question that could of been posted or answered before hand. So now I will have to email someone and stop them from what they are doing to ask a question that was asked to them before. Then in return I will have to wait for an email for a responds on what to do. Instead, I could of just done a search, and not waste anyones time. User forum are very using when applied in the right way, period. I will be asking all of my colleages at work to register to this forum.

SSI Justin Paquin

Re: Goal of this Forum?

Post by SSI Justin Paquin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

There are a couple of reasons why there are no plans to conduct support via this forum. The first reason is that this forum is completely public and does not discriminate between users who are paying ShipConstructor for Upgrades, Maintenance, and Support and those who are not. Additionally, a forum on its own or a forum in combination with another medium does not allow us to conduct the personal, structured, support that is valued by our customers and it is more difficult to manage and utilize technical support data when it is stored in a forum.

The ShipConstructor Knowledge Base http://www.shipconstructor.com/kb is the tool that we use for publicly communicating valuable technical support to our customers. We feel that the combination of direct customer support, searchable articles in the ShipConstructor Knowledge Base, and a growing, connected ShipConstructor community in the ShipConstructor forum give our customers the best toolset for learning and working with ShipConstructor.
Justin Paquin B.Sc.
Product Manager
ShipConstructor Software Inc.
#304 - 3960 Quadra Street, Victoria, BC, V8X 4A3, Canada
toll free: +1(888)210-7420 ext 242 tel: +1(250)479-3638 ext 242

Justin.Paquin@ShipConstructor.com http://www.ShipConstructor.com